Friday, April 1, 2011

Saving Face

Lynn Chen, Alice Wu, Joan Chen and Michelle Krusiec


Anu Dalam Botol Poster

I love Saving Face movie so much because I am attracted by the storyline and the Chinese culture in that movie. The movie directed by Alice Wu. Big applaud to her because even though it was her first movie and it seems that she managed to make a good movie. Plus the new comer actress Lynn Chen won an award for her performance in that movie. Hopefully she can make lots of movie with her talent and creativity and I am looking forward to see them. I am happy to see talented Asian people in Hollywood because it is hard to break the tradition in Hollywood.


Yesterday I read The Star online news about Malaysian Gay movie called “Anu Dalam Botol”, directed by Khir Rahman. “Anu Dalam Botol” means genital inside the bottle. From what I read the movie is about a transsexual who is performing operation to be a “woman” for his lover. I am looking forward to see the movie because it says that within 5 days estimated more 1 million people went to see it.

I know why Malaysian people went to see the movie because it is a taboo issue in Malaysia, so people wonder to know about the issue. But one thing that bothered me when reading the article. It seems like Raja Azmi the producer of the film doesn’t know how to explain or defend her own movie because the “Gays” and straight people in Malaysia said the movie is somehow not right. She said that the movie was based on her friend experience.

I don’t know what to say because I haven’t seen the movie. If I had seen the movie I can give my own opinion. Somehow everybody has their own opinion and judgement. Hopefully she did all the research before make the movie because it is a sensitive and taboo issue in Malaysia. Malaysia is a conservative Muslim- majority country.

I would love to see more movies like Late Yasmin Ahmad made because Malaysia needs good movies and directors to introduce to the world about Malaysian film industry and to be proud with our outcomes.

Please click the links to read:
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/3/30/nation/20110330143824&sec=nation
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/7/10/nation/6631616&sec=nation

No comments:

Post a Comment